Tranquil Madness

It's like that man who sleeps under the Katipunan flyover;that dog sitting on the sidewalks of Mandaluyong; that woman who prayed while Titanic was sinking. It's love. It's life. The soul of that lady who observed while living her noisy world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bordering on Q.C., Philippines

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Some kind of a new music..sorta..lika..whateva..

I have just discovered I have had this passion for different tunes and artist for quite a long time already (ssssssllllllooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww).
Surfing the net brought such delight in such discovery. Downloading mp3s in the office was the most amazing thing I learned last 2002! Well, my learning was short lived for mp3s and downloading are not permitted anymore since the start of 2003. Now I have to suffer the very very very slow winmix downloading in my own pc. Yeah, next time, I’ll invest in multimedia. I will have to buy a house first.

Anyway, Ryanboy has helped me research for new artists. Jason Mraz was one new person last 2002. I fell in love with him instantly! That time as well, I have grown to love Dave Matthews and his band. No more Crash into me but Crush. No more Ants Marching and hello Grey Street! Jason looked like Hugh Grant in a less fortunate image though. But I like his songs…those which I cannot decipher. I would like to go to San Diego and that beach where he jams with Poca, whoever he is.

Ryan has also introduced a Christian Catholic Band, Stephen Speaks. That time, no station was playing any SP song yet. I loved the band. I loved the songs. Most of all, I love the way they based their lyrics from the Bible. Grr….Im selfish with my music most of the time. I hated it when their songs were overplayed and teenagers fell helplessly infatuated with the boys.

Then came Jack Johnson with his blues tunes. Flake has this nice string duet. Was that Jeff Buckley or am I mixing names again? I love his song Dreams be dreams. Nice beach tune but the way he made his arrangement with the strings was still audible. And there’s more.

Nick Drake. I think he is so cute. He died at the age of 25(?). I don’t memorize what I read and my memory retention lasts only within the duration of my reading. He is the man behind Northern Sky of the Serendipity soundtrack. He has a lot of meaningful poems. I hope I can be able to hear what melodies he has placed for them.

Ani Di Franco. And I thought Barbie of Barbie’s cradle had an original voice. I remember her band won the best band in our school with a very poor impersonation of Doris of the Cranberries. And then with her nice slow-fast beats, I thought she was better with her own musical genre..that was before I learned about the Ani di Franco. The original singer of 32 flavors. Her songs are great. Her guitar playing is even more flawless. A different expertise I do respect apart from our very own Cynthia Alexander.

Now, my research has led me to Beth Orton(or is it Orthon, I forget!), Anya Marina, and Maria Mena. The latter’s song is heard on radio. Nice lyrics and similar beats of Ani di Franco. But she’s only 18. I visited her website and got a pre-audio view of her album. Great songs, each packed with a unique set of lyrics and tunes. Being Norwegian, her voice blends perfectly with her own sound. Anya Marina however is just starting.. a promising act I would want to follow. The German Heather Nova is also a prominent artist in soundtracks. Her wistful yet strong-sweet voice can just make you fall in love. And then I should not forget The Natalie Merchant, Indigo Girls, Joni M., and uhmm..who else…too many gifted musicians.

Piano playing shall never be forgotten. Hats off to Tori Amos though eccentric (weird is a better word for Bjork) in her videos. I almost cried when I watched her play with two pianos at the same time while singing Cornflake Girl. In some songs, you would think she is bringing a positive message yet a second or third or a even fourth play (fourthplay…hmmmmm…) will make you ponder on the lyrics. Negative rin pala. Angst filled sometimes. Then there is Vienna Teng. Soulful. Although the recording seems a bit poor. I would like to watch her perform live. There’s Ms. N Jones whose voice just lulls you. Sex weather. Makes you want to sleep with someone.

There are too many to mention. (wow! Slam book). I still listen to the cure and sting and of course the musical rock new wave pop gods, U2. Paul Hewson aka Bono is still someone I would want to sleep with (sounds of NJones in the background).

I wish John Lennon was still alive so I can join one of his pot sessions so we can play good music. Hehe! My dad will just kill me! And there is BB king and Eric Clapton too.

For now, I’m just content to relax and unwind at Pete’s place to hear Merville and Pque men (young and old) play a wide range of music. Jazz, Rock, Blues, World Music. I wish I can hear them jam to Al Jarreau’s Spain.

I am through with acting and showbizness, music has been my first love after all. Shall I now venture into it? Nah….later..later…magvo-voice lessons muna ako! Mihihihiyohohohohohohohoho (5x in different keys)! vocalize!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home